2016 Write On! Short Story Contest
Our fourth annual short story writing contest for writers ages 19 & up begins June 1!
This year, winners will be announced at Fall for the Book and the Write On! Short Story Contest Finale featuring Bill Beverly author of Dodgers, at the Cascades Library on Sunday, September 25, 2 p.m.
- 1st prize: $200
- 2nd prize: $100
- 3rd prize: $50
Winning stories will be published in a book which will be available at the awards presentation. Check out the 2015, 2014 and 2013 winners.
All In A Day's Write 2016 Annual Writer's Conference
Need help? Unleash the writer within and join us Saturday, June 18, 1 p.m at the Gum Spring Library for an afternoon of writing instruction from best-selling authors who have done exactly what you desire. Share with other aspiring writers and bring your words to life.
- Submissions will be accepted beginning on June 1 through July 31.
- Writers entering this contest must be at least 19 years of age.
- Only one (1) story per writer may be submitted.
- Only send the final draft. Sorry, with the number of submissions we receive we can only read your story once.
- Your work must be in English, original, and previously unpublished (including on the Internet) and not scheduled for publication anywhere before July 31, 2016.
- A story that is unpublished but which has won a monetary award in any other contest is ineligible.
- Please keep your story content appropriate for a wide audience.
- Attach your Microsoft Word readable document (please do not send a PDF) to an email and send it by July 31, 11:59 p.m. ET to: email@example.com with the subject line being the title of your short story.
- Your story should be no longer than 2500 words.
- First page: title page with story title only.
- Font: Arial
- Font size: 12
- Document name: The document name should be the story’s title. Please do not include your name in the document name.
- Every page should have a header with the story’s title and page number.
- Last page: Title of story and your contact information. Name, home address, phone number, email. To help us, please include where you heard about the Write On! Contest.
Participants of this program grant Loudoun County Public Library the right to publish their names and work in part or full and use their names and work in print and electronic publications. Participants also waive any copyright protection with respect to the right of Loudoun County Public Library to reproduce their work.
Please note that entries not in compliance with the above will be disqualified.