- Poems may or may not rhyme.
- Poets entering this contest must be at least 18 years of age.
- Only one (1) poem per poet may be submitted.
- Your work must be in English, original and previously unpublished (including on the Internet) and not scheduled for publication anywhere before June 3, 2019.
- A poem that is unpublished but which has won a monetary award in any other contest is ineligible.
- Create a title page with poem title and the category.
- Your poem may not exceed two (2) 8.5 x 11 inch pages of paper when printed.
- Font: Arial
- Font size: 12
- The first and second page of the poem should have a header with the poem’s title and page number.
- Add a final page with the title of the poem and your contact information:
- Home address
- Phone number
- The document name should be the poem’s title. Please do not include your name in the document name.
- Attach your Microsoft Word readable document (please do not send a PDF) to an email and make the subject line the title of your poem.
- Send only your final draft by May 15 (11:59 p.m. ET) to: email@example.com
Winners will be announced online June 3 on Loudoun County Public Library's website and winners will be mailed their prizes.
Participants of this program grant Loudoun County Public Library the right to publish their names and work in part or full and use their names and work in print and electronic publications. Participants also waive any copyright protection with respect to the right of Loudoun County Public Library to reproduce their work.
Please note that entries not in compliance with the above will be disqualified.
What should I write about? Is there a theme?
We have four themes! Please send us your poem in one of the following categories:
- Best Love Poem
- Best “Loudoun” Poem
- Funniest Poem
This is your chance to get creative! Poems can be inspired by real life, fantasies, nature, adventures, or even horror.
Does it have to rhyme?
No! You are free to create a rhyming or non-rhyming poem.
Why do you have a page limit?
We receive a lot of submissions and want to make sure everyone gets a fair chance. We don’t want external factors such as font size to influence our judgment. We also want to make sure there is enough time for us to read all submissions. This is why we impose a page limit.
Do I have to be a Loudoun County resident, or hold a Loudoun County Library card to take part in the contest?
No. As long as you are over 18 years old, and follow our submission guidelines, you are welcome to participate.
Can I submit works that have been previously published?
Your work must be previously unpublished and not scheduled for publication anywhere before June 3, 2019. We can accept new works and works that have never been published. This is due to copyright restrictions.