Subscribe to Loudoun County Public Library's RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds to get news delivered directly to your desktop. (What is RSS?)
Find out More about RSS
- What is RSS? RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is a convenient way to keep up with new content on your favorite website(s). Instead of searching for new information on Loudoun County Public Library's website, it will be delivered to your desktop. By using a simple program, you subscribe to RSS "feeds" (also called "channels"). After subscribing to a feed, whenever there is new information, it will be collected by the program and displayed on your computer. There is more detail on this process below. RSS has been adopted by many news services such as National Public Radio (NPR), New York Times, CNN, BBC, and the Washington Post.
- What are its benefits? RSS will keep you up to date with new content on a website. Instead of having to look for news, it will be delivered to your desktop. For example, whenever a new program is announced on the LCPL website, we will send the announcement to you. You don't have to look for it.
- What kind of information will be provided through LCPL's RSS service? We will be using RSS to tell you about all aspects of the Loudoun County Public Library. New and current services, programs, news releases, closings, cancellations, celebrations, and much more.
- How do I get RSS feeds (in general)? Getting an RSS feed is simple. But first, you will need to get an RSS "news reader" (sometimes referred to as a "news aggregator"). There are many different types. Some are web based and some are installed on your computer. They all, basically, do the same thing.
After getting your news reader, it is time to get some news to read! Most sites that offer RSS feeds should display a button similar to these:
The buttons are your link to subscribe to the feed. The news reader that you choose should give you detailed information on how to proceed from here.
- How do I subscribe to the Library's RSS feed? There are a couple of different ways that you can add the library's news feed to your news reader (this is true of any RSS feed) but, in general:
- Copy the following URL (web address) http://loudoun.vhost.vipnet.org/lcpl/rss/feeds/news.xml
- Open your news reader and select Add Feed, New Channel, Subscribe, etc. (It will vary depending on what news reader you use.)
- Paste the URL into the box that asks for the address of the feed.
- Follow prompts as directed.
- Good sources of information about RSS.